The Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration

SAMHSA Stakeholder Feedback

Tell us your views on suggested guidelines for implementation of a trauma-informed approach. What do you like about the definition, and what changes do you suggest?

What guidelines can you suggest that will help break the established professional culture that is resistant to TIC?

I live in a state that is STRONGLY advocating trauma-informed protocols across all human services systems. We have poured hundreds of thousands of dollars into professional training for a couple years and the state government is proposing over a million dollars more for just the upcoming year. I can tell you that the facilities that have been the primary focus of this vast support and funding effort have not embraced TIC. If there are national-level trainers, performance evaluators, contract assessment reviewers or anyone else present that is "watching" the staff complies- demonstrating they know what to do and what it is- but the minute, literally, the door closes, it is back to business as usual- restraints, seclusion, violent forced drugging, arrogant, power-over staff attitudes, the whole nine yards. If our state can't do it after all this effort, who can? And what is to be done about shifting the cultural paradigm? Maybe looking at higher education curricula is indicated- my son is in college studying therapeutic interventions and there is not a WORD about trauma to be seen.

5 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Amy SmithAmy Smith shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

1 comment

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • we we commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Seems like staff could use a little empathy- and compassion-training themselves. As Dr. Daniel J
        Segal would say, perhaps a goal for staff is be to "Inspire to Rewire" TM their brains.

Feedback and Knowledge Base