The Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration

SAMHSA Stakeholder Feedback

Tell us your views on the working definition of trauma. What do you like about the definition, and what changes do you suggest?

The summary working definition is a good starting point but I think the lengthier working statement does more justice to the complexity of t

The summary working definition is a good starting point but I think the lengthier working statement does more justice to the complexity of trauma. There may be a trauma taxonomy/ language that I'm unaware of but I do think there may be fundamental differences in the dynamics of an individual's trauma experience depending on whether the causation was based in interpersonal or family relationships vs in community - based event or large scale disaster. The "who or what" that created the trauma is important in framing the responses to it. Similarly there are dynamics distinctions between privately- based( eg child ****** abuse) and publicly - based ( eg hurricane disaster)traumas . Some traumas impair an individuals ability to successfully negotiate basic developmental stages and the "stuckness" is played out in addictive compulsive/ avoidance patterns that can affect multiple generations . Implications for unacknowledged( denied) , unaddressed( avoided) and unresolved ( unchanged) stages of trauma response? Existential/ spiritual implications? Traumatic events have in common ( I think) an extraordinary/ non-ordinary, overwhelmingly shattering, boundary- invading quality that insults the integrity and sanctity of an individuals sense of self, safety and security in the world, with impact ranging from spiritual/ existential issues to deeply carried cellular memories . I've rambled too long here. Many thanks to the team that prepared the working statement.

1 vote
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

1 comment

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Steven WilliamsSteven Williams commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Trauma effects are varied. 2 people that experience the same trauma, may have very different reactions to the EVENT.I think that to lengthy a definition gets in to the particulars, and starts defining ones opinion of trauma.

Feedback and Knowledge Base