The Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration

SAMHSA Stakeholder Feedback

Tell us your views on the working definition of trauma. What do you like about the definition, and what changes do you suggest?

Normalized trauma

In addition to the examples provided in the section on community trauma, we propose adding that there is also trauma that gets normalized to the point that the individual(s) experiencing it do not realize that they are traumatized. For example, an individual who lives in a community inflicted with gun violence may get desensitized to seeing or hearing about violent deaths /homicides so frequently that s/he would consider it a normal part of life

3 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Bureau of Mental Health, NYCDOHMHBureau of Mental Health, NYCDOHMH shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

1 comment

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • NeahNeah commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I don't believe this would be an example of individual trauma because the individual does not experience it as such and there are not lasting effects on the person. It could be considered community trauma if it makes the community fearful and they experience adverse effects due to the events. Such as depletion of the male population, fatherless children, mass incarceration, ect. At that point and for those individuals it would not be normalize because they would understand that they are suffering from these events.

Feedback and Knowledge Base