The Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration

SAMHSA Stakeholder Feedback

What do you think are some of the most noteworthy accomplishments and changes in the behavioral health field over the past several years?

Implementation of Assisted Outpatient Treatment

AOT (Kendra's Law in NY, Laura's Law in CA, etc.) has provided consumers with a less restrictive alternative to inpatient commitment and incarceration. Research shows 81% of consumers in AOT say it helped them get well and stay well. Independent research shows it helps the mentally ill by reducing homelessness (74%); suicide attempts (55%); and substance abuse (48%); Keeps the public safer by reducing physical harm to others (47%) and property destruction (43%) and saves money by reducing hospitalization (77%); arrests (83%); and incarceration (87%). It also has a positive effect on the treatment system, saves money, and delivers care to the most severely ill whom voluntary treatments and peer support have not worked for.

964 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Mental Illness AdvocateMental Illness Advocate shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

181 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • pwpw commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would like to create a password. How do I do that?
        pw

• pwpw commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Outpatient treatment works if the person can be followed in an outpatient setting. This can be ****** than people who say this realize. My daughter was hospitalized twice for nearly a month each time within 5 months; then placed in a group home community setting each time. Education and reinforcement of adherence, and close monitoring of medication intake is key. It is a hard job, if a person's mind is delusional and psychotic. The side effects of these medications can be unbearable, helping the person to cope with the bothersome side effects and breaking the person's beliefs is key. Providers and families need to lesson and help them to voice the pain of side effects and help them to cope and ward off side effects, for a person to be able to cope with the medication. For treatment to succeed, a team effort is needed to help a person to feel comfortable with taking medication. IF staff would understand how difficult it is to cope with the side effects, and have effective solutions and responses to complaints about how horrible some medications make a person feel and realize that medications can create the impression that medications make them sick and need effective coping skills with the side effects, a person would likely stay on medication. I know this from personal experience. Key to success is knowledge, sensitivity, empathy and solutions to helping the person cope with the effects of medication.

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I find it horrifying that we have no medical care for the most acutely ill patient suffering mental illness. We have an all or nothing voluntary system that we know doesnt work for those patients who do not have the cognitive ability to seek and participate in a voluntary system, How any organization can continue to deny the need for AOT is inhumane. Please have compassion for those patients who are labled an extreme risk and unengaged in treatment. Their choices are limited to death, incarceration, victimization, homelessness, and treatment resistant brain damage.

• ughugh commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Is there something about anosognosia that requires one to write it all in capital letters? Or is that just a part of the Treatment Advocacy Center's Code of Ethics? Ugh.

• joy torresjoy torres commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

i believe as a person with a chronic and persistent mental illness i still have choices and freedom however when i cannot make the right decisions then i would want someone to do it for me . i do believe AOT would make it better and would help me when needed without criminalizing me ...and as for those whom say it is the meds.. need to take another look sometimes it is the environmentals we are placed in too,,

• Linda Beasley-VidaLinda Beasley-Vida commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My son suffers from mental illness and refuses to take meds...as I type this he is living a dangerous life, and not one seems to care. Petitions do not work, it only caused more violence against my husband and I from him. No one seems to care, the Mental Health Dept is a joke. I fear he will hurt someone or himself. He also has ANOSOGNOSIA....and for over 12 years no one has forced him to take his meds...he laughs at the idea of being told he has to take meds to be better. We live in fear.

• Bob BennettBob Bennett commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

“Training in behavioral health now occurs in disciplinary or sector silos. Furthermore, there is little collaboration among the disciplines on workforce development efforts, such as competency development, despite the presence of many shared competencies across professions. Three other tensions impede cooperation on a strengthened national workforce development agenda or dissemination of workforce innovations across sectors and disciplines: the divide between the mental health and addiction portions of the field; the split between treatment and prevention that exists within mental health and within addictions; and, in all sectors, the separation between the traditional treatment system and the recovery community.” ( AN ACTION PLAN ON BEHAVIORAL HEALTH WORKFORCE DEVELOPMENT (2007) pg. 12 ) A start in demolishing the silos of self serving info and begin introducing a holistic system can be found in Complementary and Alternative Medicine Treatments in Psychiatry http://www.flyingpublisher.com/0008.php . Another valuable resource is the book healing Trauma by Peter Levine. The symptoms of trauma are essentially the same as 1/2 the diagnoses in the DSM-IV But the longer a person goes without effective (I'm not talking drugs here) screening & treatment the longer recovery will take; and for some real recovery may not be possible.

• Help is at handHelp is at hand commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

AOT is a safe and effective form of forced drugging. Everyone who says they don't want forced drugging has ANOSOGNOSIA!!!!!!

I am so angry that my forced AOT idea lost the poll that I am going to go under fake names all day and write comments about my fictitious "son" or "daughter" that no one will read or respond to.

I am jumping up and down. I am an AOT troll. I am going to take time out of my day to reload this website thinking it is going to stop the people who fight for human rights. I am so powerful. I am a big man on campus. I can place comments on the SAMHSA website and magically conjure the world ignoring that AOT is forced drugging and a human rights abuse.

I am awesome. I am anosognoisa personified.

• Thank Goodness It's OverThank Goodness It's Over commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm glad to see that forced treatment did not end up on top of this poll. And yet, we are really kidding ourselves if we really think this represents any sort of 'public' vote. This was CLEARLY a complete free-for-all.

• anonymousanonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There is no winning for people whose kids are suffering and refuse all help. They are loosing all battles and they have no one to help them...

No one is asking for forced drugging. All I am asking is a choice where my son won't have delusions and paranoia, Tell me what I should do? because all approach so far have failed. It's been 2 years and We are all suffering without any help...

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It is a good thing that the public vote won in the end, and forced drugging was voted down and that human rights was acknowledged as more important than violently forcing drugs into peoples' bodies.

It is clear that the public has spoken.

• Fun in AlabamaFun in Alabama commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

And for the grand finale... COMPLETE AND UTTER CHAOS! Good to see things have completely deteriorated in here. Bad enough when everyone was spewing nonsense words like 'Anosognosia' all over the place. Now, there's just spewing, period. Good going, folks. Meaningful dialog at its best.

I hope you are not under the age of 5. If you are older then I don't understand your behavior. Everyone is allowed to have an opinion. God bless...

Please don't write non sense comments here X10 . OR repeat same thing several times. All I am saying is everyone has a choice to make. If a family wants to make choice for their loved one it's their choice. What is right for you may not be right for someone else. We hear you.There is NO need to get upset because everyone doesn't like what you like...Thanks...

• AOTAOT commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Nice one 'Mental Illness Advocate'. Your schizophrenic delusion shows how dissociated from reality you are and in need of AOT.

• AOTAOT commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Isn't 'anonymous' doing well exhibiting excellent 'behavioral health' ?

• MarshaMarsha commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Reading these true-life stories is sad. I am a mom and a mother never gives up on her child/children. I only hope that some changes can be made and that some
        lives improved. I have asked the question many times before.....Look at the
        different ways our society views mental illness and developmentally challenged
        folks. Most people love to help the "courageous parent" of a down's syndome
        child/adult. However, people are way behind in their views on mental illness,often masked by substance abuse.
        I hope some changes come about to help these moms and famly members.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 9 10

Feedback and Knowledge Base