The Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration

SAMHSA Stakeholder Feedback

What do you think are some of the most noteworthy accomplishments and changes in the behavioral health field over the past several years?

The growing realization that forced drugging (including AOT) is a human rights abuse that hinders recovery.

The most noteworthy development in this area in the past several years is the growing awareness that forced drugging is a human rights abuse, and that new forms of forced drugging in the form of so called 'AOT' laws, are just as restrictive as all other forms of forced drugging and that these forced drugging practices cannot be allowed to stand in a free society.

Enough of forced drugging.

True recovery is possible for all persons labeled 'mentally ill'. Recovery is hindered by coercive, violent human rights abusing practices like AOT.

998 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    human rights nowhuman rights now shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

23 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Rachel KleinRachel Klein commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It is not only a human rights violation, one that is terrible in practice and effects, but AOT/IOT does even work to meet its own stated goals - as several studies and state experiences have shown. AOT/IOT is also very, very expensive - both in the administration of the programs and the cost in human suffering and lives lost to years of being drugged...

• Thank Goodness It's OverThank Goodness It's Over commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's really, really sad that you think that, Anonymous. It's also somewhat odd, because well.. you know... medications have such a poor track record of actually working. Or, by 'function in society,' did you mean 'be sedated to the point of immobility so no one really has to worry about how you're doing inside?'

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Their is a real and tragic subset of the seriously mentally ill whose illness deprives them of the ability to function and of their civil rights. For this important subset, medication for an illness they do not recognize is their only way to function in society.

• Thank Goodness It's OverThank Goodness It's Over commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

That we don't have the answer to how to help someone who is struggling so much does not mean forced treatment of any sort IS the answer. That's obviously what all of you who keep posting these stories of hopelessness are out to prove, but it proves nothing but that there are very hard, very said situations in our world. We all already knew that.

The best suggestion I can offer is to invest a lot of money in peer workers and others who can be out on the streets meeting people and really developing relationships with them over the long term so that that trusting relationship might grow into that person's willingness to get help. Wont work all of the time, and definitely wont work quickly but that does NOT mean forced treatment.

• anonymousanonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am not asking for forced drugs for my child. For the last 2 years No one is able to convince him to get help. Any help to feel better. His paranoia and delusion has taken a toll on us. I don't even know living this life is any better than not having my normal child. Can someone tell me how to get help for my son... All I am asking any help, NO drugs,,,He is only 20 and has lots of years to live. He looks like homeless without personal hygiene...It's very difficult for parents to see him that way...Do you have an answer???

Forced drugging destroyed my daughter's life. I hope the pro forced drugging "advocates" understand the harm they are doing. Given that they are zealots, I highly doubt it.

• Lila BannerLila Banner commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Are you KIDDING me!? THE BENEFITS OF FORCED TREATMENT ARE JUST A MATTER OF OPINION? Force is not an opinion. It's a human rights violation.

Of course there is a right or wrong, here. Any time someone wants to make laws that takes away freedoms from someone else, it is NOT just a matter of opinion.

Everyone is allowed to have an opinion. While there is NO right OR wrong, one is allowed to do what their heart desires. Don't judge anyone, do what works for you..Just saying..

• Anosognosia is Not a WordAnosognosia is Not a Word commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The frank fact of the matter is there MAY be people who neither approach will help, and a rare few who would somehow be 'helped' in some way by force... But the number of people harmed by force SO INCREDIBLY EXCEEDS those who would ever be helped by it, that it's absolutely absurd to suggest laws be built in the other direction.

• MarshaMarsha commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Is homelessnes, incarceration, and no shot at a higher quality of life any better?

• Abuse MonitorAbuse Monitor commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You're right, Marsha, it's not all about forced drugging. Forcing people to be incarcerated in hospitals, seen by psychiatrists and therapists (who recommend the drugs), etc. is also a problem.

Here is a question for you. What are my options for my 22 year old son who is mentally ill, lives by himself in Philadelphia? Due to severe lack of insight, he doesn't take shower for months, stinkss, thinks politicians have disappeared and are using doubles. Thinks Goverment has given him the mental illness. Who do I contact? Mental health delegates have not been able to help because he refuses all help. All I am asking is who can talk to my son? I don't want him to be on drugs so all of you who know something more thna me please help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There are many misconceptions about AOT in NY. It is not even really about medication. it is about encouraging people to get help; often counseling and medical and financial help, if needed. Also, it is designed to hold agencies
        responsible for treaating all patienss and not "cherry picking people with issues." I am sorry if people have had bad experiences with AOT. I know people who died or are spending their lives in jail and probably would have been helped by AOT. These are "not made up people." They are real people and their needs were not met and I say that is a true tragedy We should be ashamed of our country for "ignorant, non-compassionate help."

If a court is forcing you to take drugs, it is forced drugging. If a law is used to compel you to comply with drugging, it is forced drugging. There is NO way around this TRUTH. Regardless of if it happens in the community or in the hospital, having drugs forced into your body by law is an atrocity.

The AOT advocates who lie and say that legal compulsion is not force, are kind of like people who would say a bank employee is not having their hand forced when they have a gun to their head to hand over the cash.

AOT destroys lives.

AOT is about a lot more than "forced drugging." People have to stay alive in order t0 perhaps reach some of their goals.
        I was given forced drugging to the extreme when I was a young woman. My hospitalization was horrible and I still have
        nighmares 40 years later. However, times are different. AOT helps many people stay in the community and in NY Sttate, there
        is not "forced drugging."

However, I met many of my life goals....and I survived. AOT is needed and should be national and expanded in each state. It saves lives and saves money.

• Jeannette HauverJeannette Hauver commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am so sorry to see obviously mentally ill persons suffering because the individuals cannot recognize there is an illness present and treatment needed could help. I have seen the decrease in functioning, happiness and violence that occurs when mental illness is untreated. Yes, all medications have side effects and it takes courage to work with a doctor and other helpers. With more research there may be better ways to provide treatment, but right now this is all we've got.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base