The Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration

SAMHSA Stakeholder Feedback

What do you think are some of the most noteworthy accomplishments and changes in the behavioral health field over the past several years?

I must not be able to read,for i thought this was a poll on the most noteworthy accomplishments . Not a forum for the negative opinons .

The fact of the matter is there have been great advancement in the mental health system. those posting negative responses MUST not have been in the system prior to the achievements in the last 20 years. I remember when you had no rights and no say in any matters when deemed 51/50 and put in what they called therapeutic centers . With 20 foot walls and you were held down and shot full of Thorazine.How many of you complainers went through this...? then complain. thank you SAMHSA

4 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Gary BustinGary Bustin shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

6 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You want to applaude those systeums who did that to you you better think again about your horrified experianced because it is still out there the hate, predjust, denied treatment, don't trust what you say, and on and on. Big deal they made some changes but don't for a minute they still think the same and every day a person with a disability is abused in other ways that damage us just as bad! Its not ok and either is gaining a little bit of rights cause they always take them away when they have the chance I know I've been there. Jane Stevens

• Not Dangerous EitherNot Dangerous Either commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

And you do see these polls as helpful? Sure, there may be something positive here, but the reality is that this is a mish mash of ideas - many of them pretty awful - of what defines accomplishments and advancements... And ultimately this forum is still structured around power. That is to say, it is still structured around the idea of how many votes an item can get. Well, the reality is that E. Fuller Torrey and DJ Jaffe have a lot of ignorant people to call upon to vote, but that doesn't make their idea worthwhile and it certainly doesn't represent the damage their perspectives have done to so many people. There are some really important ideas without many votes and mainly because the posters of those ideas don't have the power and resources to mobilize a bunch of other people to vote for them. Hmmmm.. What does that remind us of? Someone without a lot of power and other resources to call upon who ends up being left unheard as a result? Huh. Yeah, this is an awesome set up.

• Person who many of believe unworthy of human rights.Person who many of believe unworthy of human rights. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In present day AOT laws and psychiatric holds, forced drugging is still the name of the game. I will COMPLAIN until my last breath that I live in a world with such contempt of my human rights. You can thank SAMHSA all you like, SAMHSA actively supports forced drugging policies. They are funded by the same government that takes away our liberty.

Do not stand and attempt to speak for all of us. Thousands of men, women, and children are being poisoned each and every day by the toxic drugs that are forced upon them by the courts and mental health systems. I do not thank SAMHSA since they still do not work for our complete and total freedom from the system. Sorry that you had to undergo what you did; my grandmother had to experience the same things. However, even though the coercion is more subtle than it was in the past, it is still coercion against our wills. Speak for yourself and not for the rest of us.

• Gary BustinGary Bustin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Those saying these polls are not helpful.There are areas of the mental health services that need repair,and which need to be addressed. how ever we also need to encourage and be thankful for the small steps that have taken place. Which lead to large advancement in the quest for stability in health services

I'm a little confused by your post, here. Are you posting against those promoting forced treatment? Or those saying these polls are not helpful? Or those who are upset to see 'mental illness as brain disease' promoted as a good thing? Sure there have been advancements, but there are awful things happening still and some of them are being PROMOTED here.

Feedback and Knowledge Base