The Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration

SAMHSA Stakeholder Feedback

Tell us your views on the working definition of recovery from mental and substance use disorders. What do you like about the definition, and what changes do you suggest?

Mental health and substance use communities need to agree on recovery definition.

While it is clear that we are moving in the direction of behavioral health that encompasses mental health and substance use, both communities need to agree on a joint definition of "recovery" in order for this integration to work at the state level and in practical terms. Also, the redirection of "mental health" to "mental illness" doesn't embrace the empowerment, and rather keeps recovery in a heavy place for survivors. This needs to be carefully thought through if SAMHSA wants these changes to be embraced on a national scale.

4 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Helga LuestHelga Luest shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

1 comment

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • martin baiadamartin baiada commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

i believe we need to recognize the difficult work the educational community is hoping to achieve and partner with them in reaching some of our most difficult individuals

Feedback and Knowledge Base